8 Tips for Rejuvenating Your Skin This Spring
Ah, spring. Thoughts of warmer days and delightfully cool nights. Leaves returning to the trees and flowers beginning to bloom. Spring is new beginnings and rejuvenation. So how about some spring skin care tips? Here are a few simple, inexpensive step to help you clean up your complexion, reduce signs of aging, and rejuvenate your skin.
1. Know Your Skin Type
Our first spring skin care tip? Identify your skin type! Proper skin care is tailored to your specific needs, so knowing your skin type is essential. Here are the basic identifiers:
- If you have normal skin, your skin should be clear (no dry/patchy spots and not prone to acne) and not especially sensitive
- If you have dry skin, you will have flaky or rough patches and be prone to lines and wrinkles
- If you have oily skin, you may be prone to acne/blackheads and have especially shiny/greasy patches
- If you have sensitive skin, it is easily irritated by dyes, soaps and chemicals commonly found in skin care products
- Combination skin can be a mixture of normal skin with dryness in some areas and oily patches in others
2. Only Use A Gentle Cleanser
A good cleanser is one that is gentle on the skin. It should rinse off easily, not require any scrubbing and leave your face and neck feeling smooth, clean and refreshed.
- For dry skin, use a fragrance-free and alcohol-free cleanser. Fragrance/dyes and alcohol will only dry your skin further.
- For oily skin, use an oil-free cleanser (such as a foaming facial cleanser)
- For sensitive skin, use a fragrance-free, alcohol-free, hypoallergenic cleanser. These are inexpensive and easy to find in pretty much any drug store or pharmacy.
3. Don’t Over Wash Your Face
Too much washing can dry your skin and irritate it – even if you don’t have sensitive skin. In general, washing your face in the morning and before you go to bed is fine. For those who work out, you’ll want to clean your face when you’re done.
4. Wash Off Your Makeup Before Bed
Yes, we know what you’re thinking, “I know to remove my makeup before sleeping.” Take a pause. Ask yourself, “How many times do I pass out before taking off my makeup?” Exactly. That’s why this skin care tip bears repeating.
- Even when removing makeup, keep it simple. Damp cotton balls followed by a gentle cleanser should work just fine. If you do choose to use a makeup remover product, make sure it is suitable for your skin type.
5. Use a Toner
Skin toners are an essential part of good skin care, especially for women. They soak up oil and remove any dirt or particles your cleanser may have missed
- Apply the toner after cleansing and before moisturizing. The best application process requires only some cotton balls. Dampen the cotton balls in the toner and using a gentle, circular motion, apply to your face. Keep applying until you no longer see dirt on the cotton ball.
6. Use a Moisturizer
Whether you are male or female, 18 or 80 – you must moisturize.
- Use a moisturizer appropriate to your skin type. Oil-free, fragrance-free and alcohol-free moisturizers are inexpensive and easily found.
- In the morning, you’ll want to use a moisturizer with at least SPF 10. This is true even in winter, and even if you are not intending to be out in the sun.
- Though using a moisturizer with an SPF before bed is not necessary, there is no harm in it.
The above are basic skin care tips. Now let’s look at some optional spring skin care tips to give your skin an extra sprucing up.
7. Try a Homemade Moisturizer
Here is an inexpensive, all-natural homemade moisturizer sure to give your skin an extra glowing boost for springtime. It’s been around for ages, and for good reason: it works!
- Mix three tablespoons of fresh cream with ¼ cup of mashed avocado and one tablespoon of honey. Apply liberally – but not too thick.
Cucumbers, too, have high water content, which makes them especially nourishing and hydrating for your skin. Cucumbers also possess astringent properties that help with acne, and soothing properties that can reduce the effects of irritation, like sunburn. But wait – there’s more. Cucumbers also have antioxidants, which help rejuvenate your skin.
- Mix two teaspoons of grated cucumber with ½ cup of yogurt. Apply this to your face and neck. After about 20 minutes, rinse it off with warm water. Do this once or twice a week, until you see results.
Lemon juice is another all-natural, time-tested remedy for your skin. It can reduce the appearance of age spots and other signs of aging. The secret is the vitamin C. It’s an effective and natural antioxidant. It also possesses bleaching properties that can help give a boost to your skin’s complexion.
- Pour a few drops of honey on 1/2 of a lemon. Rub the lemon gently on your face using a circular motion. Leave the lemon/honey mixture on for about 10 minutes and then rinse your face. Do this once or twice a week until you see results.
8. Try Microdermabrasion at Home
Microdermabrasion helps to remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and can make skin look instantly rejuvenated. NeedCrystals sources ultra fine white aluminum oxide crystals to provide a microdermabrasion scrub—available in 80 grit, 100 grit, and 120 grit—that help to buff the outer layer of the skin and increase circulation to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, scars, and sunspots.
Here are some basic guidelines for choosing the right NeedCrystals microdermabrasion product for you.
- Determine the appropriate grit for your microdermabrasion crystals: 80 grit, 100 grit, or 120 grit.
- If you are prone to acne and breakouts, consider using a natural microdermabrasion scrub with salicylic acid. This will not only reduce the appearance of acne scars, it will decrease breakouts and give your skin a healthy, glowing appearance.
- Try a microdermabrasion scrub with vitamin C. It exfoliates, revitalizes and can instantly boost your skin’s radiance.
Hit ‘refresh’ on your skin when you follow these easy spring skin care tips. Contact us with any questions or comments about our products, or to see how we can help you choose the right NeedCrystals microdermabrasion treatment for your skin type today.